Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Only Place That I Call Home

I've officially been on the island for one month and one day. In some ways I can't believe it's already been a month, and in other ways I can't believe it's only been a month. Today, I became painfully aware of where I now live. I walk to work and back everyday and until today, I certainly didn't mind. However, today, it rained. And it was cold. Walking home wasn't as much of a pleasant experience as it is the other days. Guess I need to invest in some rain pants for future.

Last weekend, I got to go home for my best friend from high school, Kristin's, wedding. First of all, congratulations to Kristin and Brandon. I couldn't imagine two more perfect people for each other. Kristin was such a beautiful bride and it was such a great day of wedding festivities! We even had some hail during the outdoor photo shoot! Exciting :) Well after some great dancing and dining, it was time for the bouquet toss. Now, as my dear friend Laura Olson, knows, this is my least favorite part of the wedding ceremony. But this time, I actually got to catch the bouquet! And while I say this means I should be the next to get married...my uncle tells me this just means I'm taller than everyone else out there. Haha :) Always the funny man, that Uncle Mark is. What's even funnier is that a few years ago, Kristin, our friend Jenny, and I had a good talk about marriage and Kristin made it known to Jenny and I that she wanted to be the last of the 3 of us to get married so she could be single and have fun at our weddings. Look how well that plan worked out ;) Jenny and I had a great amount of fun at your wedding though, Kristin! So after partying into the night (well as far as I could go knowing that I had to get up at 5am the next morning to leave for my 7 hr. drive back to the island), I had a very emotional drive home.

I called my mom and told her I was glad I wouldn't be coming home again for the next 6 months. It's too hard. As much as I love being up here on the island, going home makes me miss home. And having a good time with my friends makes me miss having good times with my friends! On Tuesday I got to thinking about what I'm doing with my life. I love having my little adventures and crossing things off of my life's list of things to do like living on Mackinac Island. I still have places I want to go and things I want to see and I fully intend on doing everything! (Like learning to surf can be crossed off when I go visit Kelsey and David in Hawaii!) But as far as finding out what I want to do with my life, I've always kept in mind something my mom said to me when I started college. She told me that she knew I would always be in school. I love to learn. I really do. And I love researching. I really want to share that love of learning with other students! Especially a love of learning more about Christ! And going back to school to get my Master's has never scared me. I just don't know what exactly to get it in. But for the last several months, I've been thinking about the possibility of becoming a college professor. I don't know what I'd teach, whether it would be Youth Ministry, Bible courses, or Psychology. I love it all. And I certainly don't know if I'd even be qualified for any of it or how I would get qualified for it. But when I talked to my mom about my new plan, she was so supportive! Not that I expected anything less, she's always been encouraging of me. So while I still have a lot of things to figure out, I'm glad I have a new direction. I need to talk to some of my professors back at school to see what direction and guidance they can give me, but I'm excited to talk it over with them. And I do still have my love of Counseling that I would like to somehow incorporate as well. God's going to lead me just as he leads each and every one of us, and I hope you will pray for me for guidance in this area of my life.

Okay, I've rambled on and on and it probably doesn't make any sense. This whole post doesn't make sense, I'm sure. My next one will be more focused I promise :)

So I'll leave you with an awesome Bible verse I read this morning. Again, it doesn't really tie into anything that I've talked about in my post, but I just wanted to share a little bit of God with you today!

God chooses to forget our sins and lawless acts. Hebrews 10:18 says "And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin." Jesus paid it all. His death and resurrection have paid the price for our wrong-doings once and for all. What a wonderful God we serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment