Monday, May 3, 2010

And the adventures continue...





























So I had a really cool idea like a week ago to tell you about my new adventures. However...here I am a week later than that and I still haven't told you about those little excursions. Sorry 'bout that. :/

Well for starters, I finally found Sugar Loaf Rock. Wasn't really sure that's actually what it was since it didn't have a sign near it like every other site to see out here does. But I'm assuming it was Sugar Loaf since I found it about where the map (that I didn't have with me at the time) told me I would. The picture up on the right is Sugar Loaf. Exciting isn't it?

I've been told Fort Holmes is the place to be. So the next day I went out in search of that. It's a lot of steps but man is it worth it! Fort Holmes and Point Lookout are the highest points on the island. It was so beautiful and peaceful. I took my Bible up there and read for a little while. There was absolutely no sound except the wind blowing in the trees. A little piece of heaven. And with it being the highest point on the island, you can see forever. In the picture above looking at the Mackinac Bridge, you can see how I was wayyy above the treeline at that point. Fort Holmes was a neat place because it was just a little fort surrounded by walls of grass. You could definitely see any activity going on around the water from up there.

I thought I was running out of places to explore, but have no fear, I whipped out the map and found a place called Crack in the Island that will be my next venture. Also, Cave of the Woods. They appear to be right by each other so I'm excited to go find them. I'm going to take the map with me for that trip, though.

My first roommate, Kadeen, arrived yesterday. She's from Jamaica and has worked here 2 summers before. She will be working at the store with me. Such a sweet girl.

The island is abuzz with people now. Tourists are starting to arrive and we even had 2 schools have their prom up at Mission Point on Saturday night. I was in the fudge shop with Mandy and saw all the kids go by riding in the carriages in their beautiful dresses and suits. So cute!

Tonight I'm going over to my friend Mandy's apartment to watch Dancing with the Stars. So nice to finally be making some good friends here on the island. I'll have to be back home to catch the 2nd period of the Blackhawks game, though. They better do a better job than Saturday night, that's all I'm gonna say about that. Go Hawks!

I went back to Mackinac Island Bible Church yesterday. We met at Mission Point now since the group is growing with summer residents and visitors returning. Again, I really enjoyed the service and am enjoying meeting other Christians on the island. I'm finding they can be few and far between. Pastor Ken did say something about how the island is a little piece of heaven, but it is a little piece of hell also. I've found this is a little bit true, more true than I originally thought. But I'm just trying to enjoy every minute that God has blessed me with being here and hopefully I can be a positive, faithful, Godly influence on others here. It's such a comfort knowing there is a Christian fellowship here who wants to support me in this and is working towards the same goal. And just another little thing that I really appreciated was that the Pastor and his wife remembered my name even though I wasn't there last week and had only attended once before. So comforting and makes me feel even more at home.

Well I guess that's all for now. It's almost time for Dancing with the Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment