Saturday, August 21, 2010

Your voice was the soundtrack of my summer...

I'm back!

Unfortunately it's been too long since I've gotten a chance to write. A lot has happened so far this summer and I'm not sure if I'll have time to catch you up on everything, but I'll do my best.

When I left off, it was the middle of June and I was struggling with homesickness and taking my time here on the island for granted. I would love to tell you I'm completely over all those feelings, but sadly, I still struggle. Though I've gotten a lot better. Laura was awesome and came out to visit me for a few days in the middle of June. We had a good time exploring and hanging out with my friends here on the island.

At the end of June I was able to go down to Ohio for my best friend from college, Ashley's wedding. What a great 4 days off the island. I was so happy to be able to see Ashley, Holly, Traci, Lindsay, Krissy, Ashley L., Jeff, and everyone else for a few days and hang out like the old days in college. The wedding was awesome, despite spilling green beans on my dress right before the ceremony. Yes, I know, that WOULD happen only to me.

July and August are said to be the busiest months on the island. I was verrrry nervous about what this busyness would be like. But actually, I'm making it through. It's very interesting to look back and see the change from when I got here in April and the streets were empty to now when the streets are packed with tourists day and night. 4th of July was really fun. Originally we were supposed to go out on my friend, Cameron's, boat, but it was too windy and sprinkling so Mandy, Cameron and I just met up with Ken and watched the fireworks on the water by the library.

After that, my parents and my sisters came for visits in the middle of July. It was soooo good to see them! I took them all over and showed them all of my favorite places on the island. My parents and I took a carriage ride and then rented bikes to see all of the cool places that I've explored. It was so awesome to spend time with them on the island. It's amazing how much we forgot about it in the 12 years since we vacationed here. They loved Sunset Rock. It's truly an amazing view. My parents will come back in September or beginning of October. I'm so pumped for them to come back!

After that I got a visit from Julie and Kyle Oostra and a few people from my church back home. I love seeing people I know here on the island. It always helps the homesickness go away a little bit more.

The beginning of August brought a trip to Detroit to a Tigers/White Sox game and rafting down the Sturgeon River with Mandy, Cameron, and Ken. What a great time off the island with good friends. We all needed the break from the island. Rafting was by far my favorite. So many good laughs and funny moments that I'll never forget.

The next weekend I had an awesome experience. I went to my old college roommate, Hope's wedding in Mishawaka, but decided to take a little detour home and surprise my family, see my puppies, and sleep in my own bed. The drive home was awesome except my mom kept calling me to see what my plans were for the night, where I was, and what I was doing...all of which I couldn't tell her the complete truth because I wanted to keep my visit a surprise. When I was finally almost there, I was on the phone with my mom and she asked me "Where are you?" To which I finally replied, "10 minutes from home." And there was just silence on the other end. It was awesome. But seeing as how my mom and I are basically one person and she always knows what's going on with me, she immediately said "I just knew it! I knew you weren't at your apartment. I just had a feeling you were coming home." Walking into my house and seeing my mom and dad and my puppies was awesome. I was home for less than 12 hours, but it was worth the 7 hour drive to get there.

The wedding the next day was great. Jeff Hardman accompanied me and thank goodness he did. We had a great time. Hope was a beautiful bride and Luke was an awesome groom. Their wedding was perfectly planned with special touches throughout the ceremony and reception. That night, I spent the night at Jeff's house and hung out with his family. It was so good to be back in Mishawaka, too. The next morning I went shopping and drove through Bethel's campus, which made me sad that none of my friends went to school there anymore and that I didn't go to school their anymore either. I got really sad when I realized I had no reason to go back to Bethel anymore and visit, other than my awesome professors. After that whirlwind weekend, I made it back to the island and decided I wouldn't be leaving for a little while.

So that brings me to today. I'm going to church on the island for the first time in what seems like forever. I just need church right now. A girl I work with, Grace, is going with me to Little Stone Congregational Church. It'll be my first time going there and I'm super excited. I've wanted to get over there all season and just haven't been able to. Tomorrow afternoon is the Guns and Hoses Softball Game that I hope Mandy and I will get over to since we know a few of the policemen. Tomorrow night is the company cruise out to the bridge. Our company rents out a big Arnold boat and serves food and drinks. I'm so excited for that. Gonna be a fun time.

That's all for now. I'll try to be better about keeping you all updated and posting more regularly for the rest of the season. I can't believe I've only got 2 months left!

No comments:

Post a Comment