Sunday, April 18, 2010

Things you should know (that I found out the hard way) when biking around the island:





Picture 1: Mackinac Bridge
Picture 2: Gorgeous scenic bike trail around the island
Picture 3: Absolutely nothing but beautiful water
Picture 4: I find these signs funny because they say "No Speeding". Now what exactly is considered speeding on a bicycle? And how does one determine if they are speeding?

I went for a bike ride today. I finally made it the whole way around the island. Took me a little less than an hour with picture stops (see above pictures). Beautiful scenery let me just tell you. And an educational ride as well. Let me enlighten you to a few of my "discoverings" while on this 8 mile ride:

1. Your rear end will start hurting about 2 miles into the 8 mile trek even if you have a cushy bike seat.

2. Watch out for random large snakes in the middle of the road. This happened to me. It made me want to throw up on the spot. I HATE snakes.

3. No matter how cold you think it is outside, always wear one less layer than you think you'll need. Biking up those hills makes you really sweaty and hot.

4. Even if it is cold out, bring water. While you will survive without it, it might be a nice thing to have. I didn't bring any.

5. No matter which way you go around the island, you're going to have to go uphill at some point.


This morning before my bike ride I went to the Mackinac Island Bible Church. Over the winter, the church meets in the Pastor's house, so this is where we met today. I really like Pastor Ken and his wife. His two teenage sons played guitars for worship in the living room. A group of about 20 people were gathered there today and they had to keep adding more chairs, which was such a blessing! In 2 weeks, they will move back to their normal worship spot at the Mission Point Resort theater. I want to try out all the churches on the island, but I really liked this one, so this might be my "home church" here on the island. We shall see! For now it's back to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment